Belated Halloween

Halloween has always been my favorite holiday. I love dressing up, I love DIY, and of course I love candy. Our neighborhood is notorious for its awesome trick or treating too. People put a lot of effort into decorating and some even create little mini haunted houses!

 We always dress up and it’s usually a mix of store bought, thrifting, and sewing. I sewed my costume this year, but unfortunately after attaching the last button, the evening before, I came down with an awful stomach bug that wiped me out. I didn’t end up getting to enjoy any of the festivities or share my costume, which was such a bummer after working so hard it. As soon as I felt better I got dressed up anyway to document it! I guess now I’ll have a costume all lined up and ready for next year, but I can’t wait a whole year to show it.

This year I decided to go as Dottie from the movie A League of Their Own. I found this perfect peach fabric from my local sewing shop and studio, Sew Hip, so I couldn’t resist being a Rockford Peach! Overall the costume was easy to sew, but my main goal was to create it using patterns I already had or my own knowledge of drafting patterns. I created two pieces for the costume, a skirt and a top. The skirt is just a half circle skirt with an invisible zip. I drafted a waist band for it and added the belt loops. Circle skirts are simple and you can find lots of tutorials online for creating them for your body size.

 For the top I hacked my Wikston Shift top pattern. I knew I needed a boxy silhouette, but I didn’t have any tops with collars. I figured I could make it work. I cut the front pattern piece as two pieces instead of one so that I could create the square neckline and the front closure. I also used the pattern’s neck facing to then draft a new facing that would align with my new front pattern pieces. The back of the top stayed the same through the whole process. I then drafted a collar that I sandwiched between the top and the facing when attaching so I could turn the facing inside the top, as directed in this pattern, and fold the collar down onto the shoulder. It might sound a little complicated, but it really wasn’t bad at all.  All that was left was adding the patch, which I found on Etsy, and some buttons.

 I’m really happy with how it turned out. It took a full day of working on it, but for me that’s totally time well spent! Hope you enjoy seeing my belated costume!

Emily Weiss